Friday, September 19, 2008

full-time parent, part-time Jaret

Hey all,

Todays thoughts are going to resonate w/ every parent that spends at least the mornings w/ their child(ren).  This morning like many others I awoke to the sounds of my daughter Layla panting and then moving around her crib to stand up. Since birth we've slept in the same room. The three of us have our morning rituals, Layla waking up and inturn waking me up to get her a bottle and change of diaper. My wife works overnight so we're usually passing each other in the morning in a foggy daze of our former selves. I'm trying to get Layla ready, she's trying to get some sleep so later she can spend time with us before I leave out to go on errands! 

I spend most of time here at home w/ Layla taking care of her and the house. And if you haven't guessed it, yes I'm a housedad! I take care of the chores and kid while my wife works. And no, I'm not doing this by choice (well yeah I am, but not the one most people think).  We made this choice because its too expensive to have Layla at day care and I'm not working yet. And taking a part-time bullshit job to help out isn't what you'd call helping! The money you make goes to day care and and transportation while the leftovers go to food for the week if any's left at all! 

While I don't mind being a stay-at-home dad and watch my daughter grow up in front of me, I still feel like I'm missing out because The money my wife makes is enough for the major bills, groceries, and some odds and ends for Layla! If it weren't for my drill weekends I wouldn't have new clothes or be able to treat my daughter to something nice every once and awhile! 

I'm just puttin this out there for those going thru what I'm in right now! 



Shit is real son!  But we gotta keep it movin!

No comments: